Equitas is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Montreal, Canada. Founded in 1967, Equitas works to advance equality, social justice and respect for human dignity through transformative education programs in Canada and around the world.
Equitas’ global programming has been built upon the experience of its annual International Human Rights Training Program (IHRTP) in Montreal. Since its inception in 1980, over 3,700 human rights defenders from more than 100 countries have attended the program.
Currently, Equitas engages in regional programs in West and East Africa, the Middle East and North Africa, Asia, Canada, Latin America and Haiti. These regional programs focus on further equipping human rights defenders to promote human rights principles and values such as equality, inclusion and non-discrimination in their communities. They also play an important role in building networks of human rights defenders. Capacity-building for national human rights institutions and government institutions, including ensuring collaboration between such entities and NGOs, is also an integral part of Equitas’ regional programs. Innovative elements of Equitas' approach to human rights education include:
• Promotion of human rights-based approaches in response to challenges regarding human rights abuses, sustainable development, democratic governance and conflict
• Education focused on building knowledge, skills and positive values
• Participatory learning approaches/methodologies
• Follow-up and support for practical application of learning
• Ongoing evaluation
• Engaged partnerships and networking that include systematic sharing of expertise and methodologies